Responding to the threat of infectious diseases in a hospital while continuing to deliver care is uniquely challenging. ExtraMed has worked with a number of customers to evolve their patient flow solution to support the needs of infection control teams.
Infection control and information
Infection control nurses need to respond to multiple sources of information to help them prevent, contain and treat patients with infectious diseases. Being able to monitor the situation and make timely decisions with this information is essential.
In many settings, each case requires multiple phone calls, manual spot checks and physical visits to individual wards. Information is collected and stored using whiteboards and handwritten notes, or maybe spreadsheets. This not only takes up valuable staff time, it means that the process of managing infections and quarantines is manual and reactive. ExtraMed’s Patient Flow solution makes all the relevant information available to those involved in the treatment, management and planning of care.
A real-time view of patients and patient flow
Finding suitable beds, planning capacity and getting a picture of the overall flow of infections and patients can be time-consuming and hard to keep up-to-date. Manual recording also makes it harder to integrate information from other systems, maintain its accuracy and ensure it’s communicated across your teams and the wider organisation.
Information when and where it’s needed
ExtraMed Patient Flow presents all the relevant information in an at-a-glance view. It integrates with systems such as your PAS or EPR, assigning an appropriate care plan to admissions. It can be used on a variety of devices for the collection of and access to information, putting real-time information where it’s needed. Ultimately, it helps to save time, optimise your use of resources and improve the quality of care for patients, reducing the risk of cross-contamination.
Key features for infection control teams
- Visibility of real-time patient infection status across the hospital
- Real-time visibility of diagnostic tests and testing
- Quickly monitor and manage requirements of patients in isolation or requiring isolation
- Reports on suitable bed locations based on patients’ care plans to accelerate admisions
- Identify the locations a specific patient has been in and which patients have shared a bay during their episode
- Proactive reporting and clear visibility help to combat the spread of infection
- Care Plans functionality allows patients to be treated in line with a consistent best practice
- Infection control features put patient care at the centre of clinical decision making